8 April 2021, English, 45 Minutes
A tour of Brazilian dairies with a discussion of special challenges to profitability in Brazil with Dr. Ramos from 3RB Labs.
Double cropping maize after soybean.
Scale, mechanization, two crops in the same year without irrigation.
Beef Cattle Evolution in Brazil
- Overview of Brazilian agriculture
- Compost barn – changed the brazilian dairy industry
- Number 1 farm in Brazil – 80.000 liters/day
- Holstein is the main breed between the top 100
- Grazing is present in the top 100
- Compost in a tunnel ventilation – heat stress is our main challenge
- New government that is honest and knows the importance of agriculture in our GDP (Bolsonaro)
- Brazil is a big player in agricultural commodities
- Milk is being produced everywhere in Brazil
- Top 100 dairies will invest to grow
- Our government, NOW, is on our side
- Land is not a problem
- Commodity is not a problem
- The biggest dairy producers in Brazil have great technology, great genetics, excellent management
- Free stalls / compost barns – are where milk is being produced
- The main source of forage is corn silage
- All the technologies that are available to the world are present in Brazilian dairy farms
- The biggest producer of milk makes Money and wants to grow!!!!
- Growing calves with various systems
- Individual housed calves is very common
- Carousel and robots are present in Brazil
- Milk production in Brazil: few produces a lot, a lot produces a few amount (typical commodity structure)
- Top 100 dairy producers in Brazil
- Challenges and opportunities to produce milk in Brazil
- Brazil is big – almost one whole Europe can fit inside Brazil
- Brazil is big, has a lot of land that is STILL available to agriculture
- Brazil is a big player in most of the agricultural comodities
- The use of land is becaming more and more efficient, less land needed to produce more.
- We can do 3 crops / year
- Amazon rainforest is preserved
- Milk is in the Central – South region
- Every city in Brazil has at least 1 dairy producer
- Milk is produced everywhere in Brazil
- Two main “breeds” – holstein and holstein x Gyr (bos indicus)
- Milk / price seasonality
- Price system – volume
- Most common facility – free stall
- Lots of agricultural practices to produce milk
- All the technologies available in the world are in Brazil daires
- Excellent farms with great facilities
- Pasture is NOT the main source of forage, however is a very common system in Brazil
Are there other upcoming webinars ?
Yes, please see our list of upcoming and past webinars.
How can i find out more information about these webinars ?
Please see our Q&A section for the questions that you might have
How do i join a webinar ?
- Pre-registration is required. Use the “Join to our webinars” Form below to register or alternatively you may send an email to : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Make sure that you have installed the zoom app
- When the seminar is ON, please click on the email link you received from us to join the webinar.Here is an example of a similar e-mail you will receive from us, you will need to click on the link in your email, ex: